Foundation Certificate in Youth Leadership and Community Action
The Foundation Certificate in Youth Leadership and Community Action is a one-year part-time course designed to enable young people to develop vision, confidence, life skills and general capacity to be effective leaders. The programme sets out to empower young people to make a positive difference to their community through practical actions and projects. Throughout the course of the programme, young people learn the core concepts of leadership and gain skills such as communication, teamwork, problem solving, critical thinking, self-awareness and research skills. The programme recognises the innate leadership capabilities and potential in young people and gives them an opportunity to develop their skills and attributes in a fun and encouraging environment. This programme has been developed as a lifelong learning initiative through a partnership between Foróige, the UNESCO Chair for Children, Youth and Civic Engagement at the Child and Family Research Centre and the Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development at NUI Galway. It is accredited by NUI Galway as a Foundation Certificate at Level 6 on NFQ scale.
The first graduates of the youth leadership programme from October 2010. Pictured (L-R): Deirdra Henry, Mayo; Nina McWilliams, Galway; Dymphna Freyne, Mayo; David Molloy, Galway; Wayne Travers, Dublin; Teresa Coleman, Roscommon.
- The programme is for young people aged 15-18 who are active members of Foróige or of their GAA club in one of these 8 counties: Kildare, Dublin, Roscommon, Galway, Monaghan, Donegal, Tipperary or Cork;
- There are no special educational requirements for entry to the course;
- Candidates must demonstrate good leadership abilities and aspire to being leaders in the future;
- They must have an active interest in youth and community affairs;
- Candidates must be 16 years of age on completion of the certificate.
HOW TO APPLY
Selection of the students will be made following the completion of an online application form. To apply, please contact the Programme Coordinator in Foróige (details are below).
€300 administration fee, payable through Foróige.
Ms. Jean O’Gorman (Programme Coordinator Foróige)
Training Officer, Training Learning and Development
Block 12 D, Joyce Way, Park West, Dublin 12 D12 Y0A6
Tel: 01 6301741 / 086 9082684
Danielle Kennan (Programme Coordinator UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre)
Institute for Lifecourse and Society
Dangan, Upper Newcastle Road
Tel: 091 495731