Current Vacancies at the UCFRC
An Evaluation of Social Innovation Fund Ireland’s (SIFI) Education Fund
UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre
School of Political Science and Sociology
Ref. No. 091-18
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time, fixed term position as a Postdoctoral Researcher within the UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre, part of the Institute for Lifecourse and Society, at the National University of Ireland, Galway. The position is being created to support a research and evaluation study on Social Innovation Fund Ireland’s (SIFI) Education Fund. This Fund which opened in 2017, was introduced to support existing innovative projects that focused on improving educational outcomes at QQI Level 3-6 or higher, for those experiencing educational disadvantage. This position is available from 1st June 2018 to 31st December 2020.
The successful candidate will form part of a dedicated Project Team at the UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre. S/He will support the implementation of a detailed research and evaluation plan with 10 Grantee Projects that have been successful in securing SIFI matched funding.
Their primary duties will include:
- Research design and planning: development of detailed research plans based on an agreed master plan.
- Fieldwork implementation and management: oversight of and participation in key data collection tasks.
- Data analysis: including using both qualitative and quantitative analysis tools.
- Report writing: drafting of main project reports and other formative outputs as required.
- Dissemination: including presentation and conferences and the drafting of academic publications.
- Project Governance: assist with the on-going project governance including working with the Evaluation Advisory Group.
- Hold a Ph.D. in applied social research or cognate area;
- Demonstrated excellence in empirical research in their field;
- Experience in applied policy and practice research using both qualitative and quantitative methodologies;
- Demonstrated capacity to work to tight deadlines;
- Capacity to work on a self-directed basis.
- Have in-depth knowledge of research, policy and practice in the area of educational disadvantage;
- Experience in evaluation research
- Acted as key author for research and evaluation reports in children and family/young people field
- Academic publications
- Experience of working with research commissioners
Salary range: €39,138 - €40,258.60 per annum
Start date and Contract Duration: 01/06/2018 (31 month’s duration)
NB: Gárda vetting is a requirement for this post
Further information on the work of the UCFRC is available at www.childandfamilyresearch.ie . Further information on the SIFI’s Education Fund is available at http://www.socialinnovation.ie/education-fund-2/
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made (by email only) to Dr. Cormac Forkan at email@example.com
Applications should be sent, by e-mail only (word or Pdf), to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Mrs. Emily O’Donnell, Business Manager and must include a covering letter, CV to include the contact details of three referees consisting of at least one academic referee.
Please put reference number NUIG 091-18 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Friday 11th May, 2018
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment.